Canon U.S.A., Inc.
Requisition ID: 25536
Category: Medical Device
Position Type: Full-Time
Canon USA’s Healthcare Optics Research Laboratory is currently seeking an experienced, Medical Device Catheter and Mechanical Development Principal Engineer, (Principal Engineer) to design and implement robotic catheters, from initial concept to commercialization, in collaboration with world’s leading medical institutions.
This position is full time and offers a hybrid work schedule requiring you to be in the office three days per week and an option to work from home two days per week. Note that work schedules and office reporting requirements may change from time to time based on business needs.
– Lead and manage robotic catheter developments including, identification of the requirements, functional catheter design, design for manufacturing and prototyping
– Lead and manage robotic catheter teams throughout the catheter development cycle, including planning, defining requirements, catheter design, prototyping, evaluation, verification and risk management
– Work closely with other core team leads to establish core competencies for catheter design and technology for HORL
– Ensure complete documentation adhering to regulations, standards and industry best practices under Design Control
– Deliver robotic catheter designs for the product that meet the defined Design Inputs and catheter requirement specifications
– Work closely with Project Managers for planning and execution to meet project check points and milestones
– Work effectively in cross-functional teams consisting of Research, Engineering, Operations, QA/RA, and Marketing
– Work closely with development teams in remote locations by interfacing with them as technical lead
– Provide documentation of inventions for patent applications; review alternative technology as it relates to the invention
– Guide and mentor less experienced team members to foster growth
– Report progress regularly to Upper Management
Please note: We comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws, regulations, orders and mandates, including those we may be required to follow as a federal government contractor/subcontractor.
– Bachelor’s degree or higher in Engineering (Materials, Mechanical, Plastics, or Biomedical)
– 10+ years of relevant experience in design of medical devices and product development in a FDA regulated industry; 5+ years in a catheter engineering leadership role
– Demonstrated experience in new product design leadership and management including leading conceptual design efforts, making appropriate modifications throughout the design process
– High level of proficiency with solid modeling/CAD (Solidworks preferred)
– Thorough understanding and extensive application of design for manufacturing, manufacturing process of catheter and/or disposable devices
– Extensive knowledge on materials such as polymer, metals, and ceramics
– Extensive experience working with consultants, outside partners, contract manufacturer and suppliers
– Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate clearly to others in different functions and at various levels
– Experience of development of an endoscopic device a plus
– Experience in risk management (Hazard analysis, DFMEA, PFMEA, etc) documentation creation a plus
The company will not pursue or support visa sponsorship for this position.
About our Company – Canon U.S.A., Inc., is a leading provider of consumer, business-to-business, and industrial digital imaging solutions to the United States and to Latin America and the Caribbean markets. With approximately $30.4 billion in global revenue, its parent company, Canon Inc. (NYSE:CAJ), ranks third overall in U.S. patents granted in 2020† and is one of Fortune Magazine’s World’s Most Admired Companies in 2020. Canon U.S.A. is dedicated to its Kyosei philosophy of social and environmental responsibility. To keep apprised of the latest news from Canon U.S.A., sign up for the Company’s RSS news feed by visiting www.usa.canon.com/rss and follow us on Twitter @CanonUSA.
†Based on weekly patent counts issued by United States Patent and Trademark Office.
All referenced product names, and other marks, are trademarks of their respective owners.
Canon U.S.A., Inc. offers a competitive compensation package including medical, dental, vision, 401(k) Savings Plan, discretionary profit sharing, discretionary success sharing, educational assistance, recognition programs, vacation, and much more. A more comprehensive list of what we have to offer is available at
We comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws, regulations, orders and mandates, including those we may be required to follow as a federal government contractor/subcontractor.
We are an EEO/AA employer. Minority/Female/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
If you are not reviewing this job posting on our Careers’ site , we cannot guarantee the validity of this posting. For a list of our current postings, please visit us at .
Hybrid – This position is full time and offers a hybrid work schedule requiring you to be in the office three days a week and an option to work from home the remainder of the week (unless a specific business need arises requiring in office attendance on other days). Note that work schedules and office reporting requirements may change from time to time based on business needs.
#PM19 #LI-AV1 #CUSA #LI-HYBRID