News Writer, Blavity MediaContract
Blavity, Inc. is a venture-funded technology and news media company, founded in 2014 around a simple idea: enable Black millennials to tell their own stories. Today, we are home to the largest network of platforms and lifestyle brands serving the multifaceted lives of Black millennials & Gen Z through original content, video, and unique experiences. The company has grown into a market leader for Black media, reaching 250 million users per month through our growing brand portfolio, including Blavity News, Blavity Politics, 21Ninety, AfroTech, Travel Noire, and Shadow & Act. Assembled of passionate, high-energy, and focused rock-stars, our Blavity, Inc. Team executes our values at the forefront of mind: Love of Community, Transparency and Communication, Collective Responsibility, and Fail Fast. Blavity, Inc. is continuously looking for new team members to help us continue to scale, cultivate our community, and advance our strategic direction.
Blavity Inc. is seeking a News Writer to join Blavity Media. The News Writer position is a (1099) contractor which is responsible for writing both original and aggregated news stories across both Blavity.com and Shadow and Act, including trending/viral news, pop culture, politics, social justice and more. The ideal candidate thrives in a fast-paced environment, has refined writing skills, stellar research skills and has an understanding of Black millennial and Gen Z audiences.
This 1099 contract role reports to the Managing Editor, Blavity Media.
Contractors will be responsible for providing their own equipment, including but not limited to laptop computers, cell phones, or any other electronic equipment required to perform their role
- Write up to four news stories per shift
- Source relevant news stories and stay abreast of viral trends on social media worth covering
- Curate questions to interview sources
- Pitch original long-form content twice a month
- Diligently flag and file stores
- Attend bi-weekly writers’ calls
- Education: Preferred BA/BS or equivalent industry experience
- Required Experience: 1-3 years of experience writing and reporting for a digital news publication
- Technologies: Experience using WordPress, Google Suite, Asana, and/or comparable project management suite
- Additional Qualifications:
- Experience in news aggregating and reporting
- Experience writing news stories on tight deadlines
- Fact-checking and ensuring all information is accurate/credible
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- A healthy appreciation of GIFs and Black culture
- This is a remote contract position that offers a maximum of 25 hours a week for 3 months with the possibility to extend.
- Candidates must be available to work weekday mornings on Eastern Standard Time.
- The pay rate for this role is $20 per hour.