People Business Partners (PBPs) are responsible for aligning business objectives with people solutions in the organizations they support. In many companies, the role is referred to as HR Business Partner (HRBP). Successful PBPs act as business professionals, team member champions, and change agents. PBPs are HR experts who partner with and advise the business by maintaining literacy about the business unit’s financial position, its midrange plans, its way of operating, and its competition.
Don’t have a ton of knowledge about GitLab yet? Don’t worry. We have an extensive onboarding and training program at GitLab and you will be provided with necessary DevOps and GitLab knowledge to fulfill your role.
What you’ll do in this role:
- Provides support and feedback to client groups, and consults with managers at all levels in areas of talent strategy, including management training and coaching, team member engagement programs, organizational development, and employee relations. Typically supports 1 or more VPs across a function; may support a more senior executive based on organizational structure.
- Identifies great talent, internally and externally, who will raise the bar across GitLab. Mentors others both in the client group and in the People team.
- Quickly identifies business needs; develops and presents solutions to senior leaders to help drive results in the organization.
- Demonstrates ownership to develop and drive People programs and processes from start to finish that align with GitLab goals and values. Deliver meaningful results to the client group/s concise and timely.
- Leads client group to maintain a high bar for performance by reviewing trends in management of underperformance. Based on insights from Team Member Relations, keeps senior leadership apprised of performance management trends and hot spots. May be more hands on with TMR for complex or senior level performance issues or investigations.
- Analyzes trends and metrics in partnership with the People team to develop solutions, programs and policies. Raises concerns/trends to the PBP team, CPO and Legal as needed.
- Works closely with management and team members to improve work relationships, build morale, and increase productivity and retention.
- Provides guidance and input on business unit restructures, workforce planning and succession planning to support the business strategy.
- Participate in driving iterations related to company-wide Talent Programs based on feedback from client group.
- Executes on company-wide Talent Programs within their client group, including Annual Talent Assessment and Compensation Reviews.
We’re looking for:
- Relevant, progressive People Business Partner experience supporting front line, mid-level and executive leaders.
- Expert-level experience in a variety of HR competency areas such as organizational design and development, leadership development, change management, performance management, and employee relations.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work well with fluid information.
- Comfortable using technology, including Google Workspace and Gitlab.
- Effective and concise verbal and written communication skills; ability to collaborate cross-functionally.
- Obsessed with results that matter; able to create and deliver full-cycle projects (start to finish) and results in a timely manner.
- Team player who acts with a sense of urgency and adapts to a fast-paced and ever-changing environment.
- Ability to solve complex problems; resourceful and takes initiative to seek internal and external resources when problem-solving.
- Very strong EQ, with fine-tuned instincts and problem-solving skills. Demonstrates sound, consistent, trusted judgment.
- Experience working with Global Talent (Americas, EMEA, APAC); remote experience preferred.
- Comfortable with high volume and very fast-paced workload; not afraid to “roll up your sleeves” to complete more tactical work. Able to switch between strategic and tactical work daily.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred; Master’s degree and/or HR Certification strongly preferred
- Ability to use GitLab
- A shared interest in our values, and working in accordance with those values
Also, we know it’s tough, but please try to avoid the confidence gap. You don’t have to match all the listed requirements exactly to be considered for this role.
The base salary range for this role’s listed level is currently $87,400-131,000 for Colorado residents and $87,400-$177,800 for New York and New Jersey residents only. Grade level and salary ranges are determined through interviews and a review of education, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities of the applicant, equity with other team members, and alignment with market data.