The Design School
The Design School in the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts at Arizona State University invites applications for multiple part-time Visual Communication Design Faculty Associate positions for the Fall 2021 semester.
The successful candidate(s) will teach in-person, remote, online, or a combination of those course structures. They will prepare course materials, evaluate student work, and assist students. Faculty Associates positions are one semester, non-benefits eligible, fixed-term appointment with no tenure implications, not to exceed .40 FTE. The number of courses are contingent upon needs, funding and sufficient enrollment. Salary is based upon qualifications and assigned teaching load. Individuals employed as Faculty Associates may not hold multiple, non-benefits eligible appointments at Arizona State University.
The successful candidate(s) will teach in-person courses:
- Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled classroom setting subject to extended periods of standing, lecturing, facilitating classroom activities
- Frequently required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work
- Occasional bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 25 pounds
- Occasional activities require ability to quickly change priorities which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts
- Clearly communicate to perform essential functions
- Regular use of standard office equipment including, but not limited to: computer
- workstation/laptop (keyboard, monitor, mouse), printer, copier, telephone and associated computer/technology peripherals
A degree in a related design discipline OR two (2) years of professional experience working in a related design discipline with a focus areas specified as follows;
- GRA 121/GRA 122-experience working in a design organization or a design consultancy
- GRA 220-visual communication/graphic design, specializing in drawing as a language and process for graphic design thinking
- GRA 221-proficient understating in fundamental principles of graphic design and letterform, high level of sensitivity in typesetting through sensitive letter spacing, word spacing, punctuation spacing, leading, and rag organization
- GRA 222-visual communication/graphic design with interest in theoretical and applied studies of shape, drawing and color.
- GRA 294-advanced knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, specifically with a focus on standard InDesign practices and use.
- GRA 225-visual communication design background with a focus in the design of communication artifacts and interaction within various media environments.
- GRA 321/361-visual communication/graphic design with interest in exploring the process of technology in design
- GRA 461- visual communication/graphic design with an emphasis in comprehensive projects, research, presentation, practice, and analysis.
OR any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Scope of Search
Please enter – see example below:
- Excellence in teaching accounting, auditing, and/or taxation courses
- Significant service and professional contributions to the accounting, auditing, and/or taxation profession
- Experience with training and industry partnerships; 5) Certified Public Accountant certification
- Teaching experience in a variety of platforms, including executive, onsite, online, graduate and undergraduate levels
06-July-2021 is the initial close date. Applications will continue to be accepted and reviewed every week thereafter until filled. Final close date, 20-August-2021
Grant Funded Position
This is not a grant funded position and is not contingent on future grant funding.
At the current time, we anticipate hiring new Faculty Associates to teach the following courses:
- GRA 101 Designing Life, online
- GRA 111 History of Graphic Design I, online
- GRA 112 History of Graphic Design II, online
- GRA 121 Principles for Graphic Design I, online or Tempe campus
- GRA 122 Principles for Graphic Design II, online
- GRA 220 Design Drawing I, online or Tempe campus
- GRA 221 Letterform, online or Tempe campus
- GRA 222 Visual Communications I, online or Tempe campus
- GRA 225 Communication/Interaction Design Theory
- GRA 294 InDesign
- GRA 321 Technology for Design I
- GRA 361 Visual Communications III
- GRA 461 Visual Communications V
Depends on experience
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please submit a letter of interest and curriculum vitae or resume. Qualifying candidates will be contacted directly for references or additional information, if necessary.
In the cover letter, please indicate which course(s) you would like to be a Faculty Associate for. Example Subject: Faculty Associate AME 494
One semester contract for part-time, non-benefits eligible position. Number of courses contingent upon unit needs, funding, and sufficient enrollment.
Salary contingent upon qualifications and assigned teaching load.
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions, which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses and certifications.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. See ASU’s complete non-discrimination statement at https://asu.edu/aad/manuals/acd/acd401.html. See ASU’s Title IX policy at https://www.asu.edu/titleIX/.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.