Technical Support Engineers work primarily with enterprise customers of Tableau’s Server and Desktop products, proactively assisting them with post-sales installation, configuration and set up tasks, data connectivity, and performance improvement. Responsibilities include taking a proactive leadership role working with the Support team to prioritize and resolve highly technical, and application-related issues which impact product performance in customer-specific environments, or issues that directly hamper a broader customer adoption of Tableau products. In addition to working with customers, they will routinely partner with our Development, Sustaining Engineering, and Sales Engineering organizations to resolve support issues, document bugs, provide UAT on product builds, and ensure that new and newly upgraded server installations are successful.
U.S. Federal Government Security Clearance eligibility is required (active clearance preferred).
Qualification for this job is contingent upon acceptable results from a background investigation as well as your obtaining and maintaining the specific level of U.S. Government security clearance required for this role. U.S. citizenship (U.S. born or naturalized) required.
- Effectively support with customers via email, phone, and other electronic methods to ensure client’s effective use and optimization of Tableau products.
- Maintain excellent relationships with Tableau customers by applying superb customer service and technical skills. Perform in-depth troubleshooting to identify root cause.
- Work to suggest select server and core server clients to implement successful server launches and to resolve deployment technical issues.
- Advocate for Tableau Desktop clients to successfully integrate (installation, data connectivity, analysis, and performance) the application into their business to resolve highly sophisticated technical issues associated with integration.
- Use a combination of product management and application knowledge to guide customers through successful implementations.
- Apply in-depth troubleshooting and debugging skills along with deep knowledge of systems, databases, and applications to get to root cause of the customer’s issue.
- Set up test environments to mirror customer set-up, write test scripts, and perform tests using customer’s data or representative data.
- Apply validated test methodology and debugging skills to narrow down the problem as needed.
- Communicate effectively step-by-step instructions to reproduce the issue and findings to identify root cause.
- Partner with clients and help them optimize the use of Tableau software, listening skills and understanding the customer’s request thoroughly combined with in-depth technical knowledge to assist them in the manner most appropriate.
- Lead support case resolution efforts for customer cases by using skills in troubleshooting and debugging, identifying root cause, and communicating bugs to Sustaining Engineering
- Build strong multi-functional working relationships with Engineering and Product Management.
- Extensively research and document customer software and technical issues as in Knowledge Base articles as appropriate. Using a mixture of system, application and database knowledge, research and reproduce issues.
- Be a leader in moving Self Service and Proactive Support forward
- Support and advocate for improvement to the ongoing development of the Knowledge Base.
- Apply Knowledge Base articles as a resource to take on customer issues
- Collaborate with Technical Support, Product Management, Sustaining Engineering, Sales Consultants and Support Management to resolve issues by applying excellent technical, customer service, and interpersonal skills in building solid multi-functional relationships.
- Mentor Technical Support Specialists
- Use best judgment to raise support cases and priority issues to management
- Maintain appropriate case- and customer-related files and record.
- Prioritize customer cases and company projects optimally, communicating priorities and plans to management.
- On-site – This is not a remote role.
- Expert. 4+ years validated experience supporting and solving critically important commercial software applications. 2 yeas of experience with Tableau Server and Desktop, preferred.
- Educated. BA/BS degree in CS or technical degrees; equivalent work experience will also be considered.
- Domain. Proven understanding of relational databases, networking, server set-up, and Windows,
Linux and Mac administration, including troubleshooting experience with internet architectures,
firewalls, proxy servers, reverse proxy servers, and web servers.
- Service Minded. You deliver customer support like you expect to receive it; with excellence and confidence.
- Detail oriented. You have an ability to prioritize a multifarious workload in a timely manner.
- Communication. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Problem Solver. You love tackling the difficult challenges and quickly arrive at the best solution.
- You are a Recruiter! Tableau hires company builders and, in this role, you will be asked to be on the constant lookout for the best talent to bring onboard to help us continue to build one of the best companies in the world!
This candidate must be a U.S. citizen (U.S. born or naturalized) who does not hold dual citizenship and agrees to complete a U.S. federal government Minimum Background Investigation (MBI) for a Moderate Public Trust position.